top of page

Bonfire Night Safety: Tips for a Fantastic Weekend

Here at Loxwood Burners Sussex, we love all things fire, so bonfire night is one of our favourite events of the year. There is so much enjoyment to be had in the walking processions, getting a sweet treat and warm drink from a stall, and, of course, watching an incredible fireworks display. We hope that all of our customers have a fantastic weekend and thoroughly enjoy everything Bonfire Night has to offer. But there are some things to bear in mind to make sure you have the best night possible. Sparklers and fireworks are beautiful to look at but pose serious health risks if used irresponsibly.


In an Emergency:

  • If someone suffers a burn, cool the burn under cold running water for at least 20 minutes.

  • Cover the burn with cling film or a clean plastic bag if cling film is unavailable.

  • Call 999 if necessary.

  • Please always seek medical advice for a baby or child that has been burned.


If Clothes Catch Fire:

  • STOP where you are.

  • DROP to the ground.

  • ROLL around to put the fire out.

  • COOL the burn or scald under cool running water for at least 20 minutes.

  • CALL for help, in an emergency call 999.

  • COVER with loose cling film


Top Tips for Enjoying Bonfire Night Safely:

  • Only buy fireworks that carry a CE mark and store them safely in a closed metal box.

  • Always read the instructions for a firework carefully, in daylight or torchlight, and never by a naked flame.

  • Always be aware of wind direction when lighting a fire or setting up a firework and make sure you have adequate space around it.

  • Never light a bonfire next to a wooden fence or garden shed and be aware of nearby hedges or overhanging tree branches.

  • Always light a firework at arm’s length with a taper and then stand well back.

  • Never go back to a firework once it has been lit. Even if the firework hasn’t gone off, it can still explode.

  • Never throw fireworks or put them in your pocket.

  • Keep naked flames away from fireworks, including cigarettes.

  • Never use petrol/paraffin to light a bonfire and never put items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam, furniture, or batteries into the bonfire to burn.

  • Keep pets inside throughout the evening.


Safety with Sparklers:

  • Sparklers burn at 2000 degrees centigrade.

  • Never give sparklers to children under 5.

  • Never give to children unattended.

  • When the sparkler has gone out, place them in a bucket of water.


Good to Know:

  • It is an offense for anyone under the age of 18 to possess fireworks in public places.

  • It is an offense for anyone, other than a firework professional, to possess professional display fireworks.


couple smiling at sparklers.

With thanks to the Sussex and Surrey County Councils and their respective fire departments for the information provided on bonfire safety.

4 views0 comments

コメント


bottom of page